At least 18 years old upon application
English Language Proficient
Academic English Language Arts (ELA)
– English 30-1 or 30-2 with a minimum of 55% or Canadian jurisdiction equivalent, or
– Deemed equivalent by completion of ACCUPLACER (assessment of placement test
NOTE: Students who have not completed the ELA 30-1 level requirement and achieved the minimum grade are subject to completing the ACCUPLACER assessment test. This can include students out of province, out of country or mature students that have been out of school for a significant length of time.
English Language Proficiency (ELP)
Applicants where English is a Second Language (ESL) must meet the English Language Proficiency requirement in addition to the Academic English requirement. Equivalencies are as follows:
Required Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of a minimum of 7 in each of the four language skills (Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing) and not an average of 7, or
By completing high school in Canada. Studies must have been in English at an approved Canadian high school (Grades 9, 10, 11, 12) with at least three consecutive years of full-time academic study, or
By completing a recognized post-secondary degree or diploma program in Canada. The program must have involved at least two full years of full-time, consecutive academic study in English or
By completing three years or more full time study at the college level in a country where the medium of instruction is English.
Approved English Language Proficiency Tests
– International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic: 6 (no section-score below 5.5), or
– Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet Based Testing (TOEFL iBT): 71, or
– Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) General: 7 (with no section score below 6), or
– Canadian Language Benchmarks / Milestones Test: 7 in each strand, not an average of 7
– Duolingo English Test with minimum score of 95%
The following are government approved English Proficiency Tests:
1. IELTS – International English Language Testing System: Academic visit https://ielts.org for more information.
2. TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet Based Testing (TOEFL iBT). Visit https://www.etc.org/toefl for more information.
3. CELPIP – Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program. This is an English language proficiency test designated by IRCC for permanent resident status and citizen of Canada. Visit the link https://www.celpip.ca.
4. CLBA – Canadian Language Benchmark Assessment. Visit the link https://larcc.cssalberta.ca/Language-Assessment.
For details on IRCC’s standard requirements, language requirements, visit https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/standard-requirements/language-requirements/test-equivalency-charts.html.